Re: open 6to4 relay routers implementing RFC3068?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:32:35 +0200, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> said:
> On Sep 27, Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM> wrote:
>> How many open 6to4 relay routers are implementing RFC3068?
>> (the IPv4 anycast address)
> route-views.oregon-ix.net says:

> AS559 (SWITCH)
> AS1741 (FUNET)
> AS8379 (cybernet-ag.net)

> Most routes are from AS559.

Hm, how flattering.  Maybe we should start prepending AS559 to some of
our peers.  Anyway, the geographical/topological distribution of
RFC3068 relays (Finland, Germany and Switzerland) is certainly
somewhat lacking for non-European users.

So if you're outside Europe, please consider setting up a public
RFC3068 6to4 relay.  It's really not that difficult, provided that you
have some control over your external IPv4 route announcements.  I also
don't think you'll see that much traffic - here's the MRTG page for
our relay, which seems to be widely used:

http://www.switch.ch/lan/stat/6bone/swi6t1-tunnel2.html

(Although the load could certainly go up in the future if some worm
enables IPv6 on gazillions of XP installations 8-)

Especially if you have security/liability concerns about relays 6to4
are insecure, you should consider setting one up so that we get some
empirical data.
--
Simon.