RE: ocean: do not boil

This was the primary reason I stressed that ngtrans needed to focus on
the dual stack approach first. Even though that is a much simpler
approach, there have been a variety of situations exposed over time to
show that it simply not possible for everyone to take the easy road. The
most obvious case at the moment is the substantial deployment of
IPv4-only NAT CPE that for financial reasons *will not be upgraded*
until the ISP is ready to provide native IPv6 support (in North America
that is looking like ~2006, or in the case of docsis devices much
later). For those end sites that want to move sooner, and don't have a
reasonable option for an alternate ISP, just saying we only support dual
stack is telling them they can't use IPv6 capable apps & appliances for
at least 5 years. This will in turn put a damper on the app development
community, because to get their app deployed in that timeframe they will
have to figure out how to do nat traversal. Once they have gone down
that path, where do they find additional incentive to put in IPv6
support?

Yes the alternative tools add complexity, but in the grand scheme of
things, is that complexity less than the mess we would end up with if
everyone came up with their own nat traversal schemes? I think it is,
and that we need more than dual stack.

Also, as a meta point, declaring an approach for transition out of scope
before the scenario documents are done is just a bit short sighted.
Indeed there are a few ISPs deploying native service today, and these
will simplify the global transition. To extrapolate from there that dual
stack is all we need is really doing a disservice to the entire effort
to make the transition as smooth as possible for the end site. Just as
there is no single network design that works for all sites, there is no
single transition approach that will work universally. Before deciding
what problem doesn't need to be solved, why don't we get working group
consensus on the problems that the design teams are trying to describe
to see what they believe (due to first-hand experience or customer
feedback) are the real problems existing networks will face as they try
to move.

Tony