Re: renumbering

> Perhaps, but the real point is that with AAAA records, the main need
> is for tools not standards - specifically, tools to perform bulk updates
> of a site's DNS table. Many sites and enterprises have such tools already
> and adapting them to IPv6 is straightforward enough, but sites that
> don't have such a tool (and therefore probably don't have an organized
> host database or even an organized host naming strategy) will find
> IPv6 renumbering almost as obnoxious as IPv4 renumbering.
>
> This matters. Paul is being pragmatic, but if the NAT fungus infects
> IPv6 deployment we will have painted IPv6 into a corner.
>
> So, still being pragmatic, how can we stimulate the creation of
> renumbering tools (especially DNS bulk renumbering tools)?

IMHO, there is a need for both tools and guidance, and perhaps also
for minor protocol tweaks.  this was true even with A6 records.

if someone were to write a "how to renumber your network" document,
with appropriate consideration for all of the components of the
network that might need to be tweaked (incl. routers, firewalls,
software that is configured to allow access only from local IP
addresses) and also consideration for what it takes to keep software
from breaking during the switch-over (listing different phases
and recommending times for each) the exercise of writing this document
might also serve to identify any missing bits of protocol and missing
tools. perhaps I've missed it, but I don't think I've ever seen
anything like a complete story on how to renumber a large network -
and until we have that, how can we be sure that the necessary pieces
are all in place?

Keith