RE: (ngtrans) Re: WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

Brian,

from rfc 3056: The below is punting.  It did not give examples, it does not discuss ramifications of policy, it does not have applicability statement it just says BGP+ is being used as standard.  Based on what we have to do today to get through the IESG loop with new specs this is punting.  Also Sowmini and I beat on this and wanted diagrams but we gave up.  It also affects the relay routers too if they happen to be egress routers.

So it did punt.

/jim

5.2.2.1. BGP4+ not used

   If BGP4+ is not deployed in the 6to4 exterior routing domain (option
   2.1 of Section 5.2), the relay router will be configured to accept
   and relay all IPv6 traffic only from its client 6to4 sites.  Each
   6to4 router served by the relay router will be configured with a
   default IPv6 route to the relay router (for example, Site A's default
   IPv6 route ::/0 would point to the relay router's address under
   prefix 2002:09fe:fdfc::/48).

5.2.2.2. BGP4+ used

   If BGP4+ is deployed in the 6to4 exterior routing domain (option 2.2
   of Section 5.2), the relay router advertises IPv6 native routing
   prefixes on its 6to4 pseudo-interface, peering only with the 6to4
   routers that it serves.  (An alternative is that these routes could
   be advertised along with IPv4 routes using BGP4 over IPv4, rather
   than by running a separate BGP4+ session.)  The specific routes
   advertised depend on applicable routing policy, but they must be
   chosen from among those reachable through the relay router's native
   IPv6 interface.  In the simplest case, a default route to the whole
   IPv6 address space could be advertised.  When multiple relay routers
   are in use, more specific routing prefixes would be advertised
   according to the desired routing policy.  The usage of BGP4+ is
   completely standard so is not discussed further in this document.