Re: TE Requirements Draft - ELSP

Francois Le Faucheur wrote:

> 2) using E-LSPs with traffic from multiple OAs but using single CSPF
> This option is not allowed in recently posted REQTS draft.
> This option is necessary to:
>          - address Jim's scenario
>          - address Roberto's scenario
>          - address Neil's scenario
> This option would not create any real changes to the current DS-TE model
> and entails NO protocol extensions (ie it comes for free complexity-wise)
> I suggest that the REQTS draft be changed to allow this option.

Neither Jim, nor Neils's scenario can be addressed without protocol extensions.
I am afraid, you have jumped to some conclusion. The BIG assumtion to address
Jim's scenario is, the ratio of voice signalling and data is known. I feel that,
it
may be known for some applications but not known for other applications.
Neil's scenario has been nicely articulated by Shahram and it is clear that it
cannot be addressed with current DSTE solution.

> I suggest we keep this option on the table for discussion for now but don't
> include it in the REQTS draft until we have established that a body of SPs
> actually want to do this and how it would actually be used (would we need
> just multiple bandwidth or also multiple affinity, multiple preemption,...).
> This would allow us to develop a faster simpler DSTE solution that
> addresses what we know SPs want to do today.
> We can always add this option at any time later when deemed useful and do
> the corresponding work then.

I dont see, how a speedy deployment will get hindered by including ELSP
based solution in DSTE REQT document. As Nabil stated, in his earlier mail,
not everything is MUST.

We have tried to capture some of the discussion in our updated version of ELSP
proposal. This was submitted on Wednesday and should be in archive soon.
In the mean time, you can get it from
http://www3.sympatico.ca/b_nandy/draft-ganti-mpls-diffserv-elsp-01.txt

Regards.

++biswajit