RE: TE Requirements Draft - ELSP

Joel/Roberto.....One reason why E-LSPs might of interest to operators in the
context of VPNs noting that:
-	DS classes only provide information on the up-state QoS forwarding
treatment......they cannot distinguish between one pkt's survivability needs
over another pkt of the same or different DS class.  However, I can easily
imagine many cases where voice/data applications may or may not be mission
critical both within the same, and across different, VPNs....and only the
customer really knows this;
-	if we have LDP deployed with like-DS-class aggregation across all
VPNs then it will not be easy (impossible?) to offer robust and measurable
separate availability and QoS SLAs to such VPN customers;
-	I would also argue that VPNs customers don't care about other
VPNs.....they only care about their VPN and expect the operator to be able
to look after the VPN as an entity (ie a whole) rather than a set of pkts
treated in isolation;
-	the current solution (sic) is to over-engineer networks, at least
for certain classes.

So one possible use of E-LSPs therefore might be to provide VPNs where per
VPN SLAs are required on availability and QoS.  To do this ER E-LSPs would
need some 'effective BW' and 'survivability' attribute.  L-LSPs can also be
used, but these simply increase the label/LSP requirements and one still
needs some overall encapsulation of the constituent L-LSPs (on a per VPN
basis).

I know this is not exactly what you guys are discussing wrt DS/TE for
E/L-LSPs, however it is something I think operators should be interested in
wrt E-LSPs and their potential usefulness.

regards, Neil