RE: TE Requirements Draft - ELSP

The CAC is not the problem.
The CSPF, and the source of the information for the CSPF, is the
problem.  Not only do you have to give the requirements to the CSPF
algorithm (a local process, or a central one, or ... but anyway not what we
are discussing), but you also must include all N individual bandwidth
requirements in your request.  That is, when you signal the LSP you must
tell the network how much bandwidth you will use for each class within the
LSP.  This is necessary for two reasons:
1) The CSPF information may have been out of date, and therefore must be
checked per link per class
2) Each link needs to update its per class utilization information, and it
can only do so if you provide sufficient information.

Therefore, what you have done is NOT signal one TE LSP, but rather to
signal N LSP with the requirement that they be routed, protected, and
re-routed together.  You got no effective scaling benefit because all the
bookkeeping has to look at these as separate LSPs.

Hence, the capability you are asking for is the capability to signal an LSP
bundle that is to be treated together.  That is an interesting feature, but
not a trivial extension to what we have if it is to be done right.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern