RE: TE Requirements Draft - ELSP

Hi all,

I agree with Nabil when it states that current requirements PRECLUDE folks who are E-LSP capable from utilizing DS-TE. In fact consider the following example, where the network supports 3 Class Types:
 - CT2=EF
 - CT1=AF1+AF2
 - CT3=BE
Also imagine that on a given link the bw constraints are P1=20Mb/s, P2=60Mb/s, P3=100Mb/s, and that at a given moment in time the link is occupied only by 18Mb/s of EF traffic. A new E-LSP carrying an EF+BE flow of 10Mb/s total traffic, divided into 5Mb/s of EF traffic and 5 Mb/s of BE traffic should be refused by the link (in fact it cannot accept more than 20Mb/s CT2=EF traffic).

My question is: how can the network realize that the flow must be refused (or routed elsewhere) if there is no way to signal that the EF bw is 5Mb/s? Since the current signaling only allow to signal the total bw (i.e. 10Mb/s), how can we decide to admit or to reject the incoming E-LSP?

There are two possible answers:

(1) use L-LSP and set up two different 5Mb/s LSPs, one for EF and one for BE. Right, but if I'm not interested in the added value of L-LSP (i.e. the possibility to perform per-class routing and per-class protection/restoration) why should I use it? I see no advantages and at least one drawback (i.e. an increased number of LSPs to manage and longer tables in the LSRs).

(2) add the standards with the possibility to signal per-PSC BW requirements. A possible proposal in this direction is given in:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iovanna-rsvp-mpls-flowspec-00.txt

Best regards
Roberto