Re: DS-TE Requirements - input sought on "Overbooking"

Hello,

>> Considering a DS-TE solution which allows to enforce different
>> overbooking
>> ratios for different Classes of Service, are there Network Operators out
>> there (I repeat *Network Operators*) who have a specific requirement for
>> enforcing different values for these per-COS overbooking ratios in
>> different parts of the network ?
> 	[...]
> So, Network Operators - to rephrase the question:
>
> Is there a need for per-COS and per-Link based overbooking which requires
> protocol hooks for advertising out per-COS, per-Link overbooking factors?

Without the "and":

Overbooking per CoS? Yes.

I want to overbook data services but don't want to overbook real-time
services.

Overbooking per link? Not really.

 From my ATM colleagues I picked up some discussion about a different
overbooking factor on a few links. Have to ask for the "why". A motivation
could be to "squeeze" a particular link to delay a costly upgrade but
remain with no/low overbooking on the network in general to make life
(read: fulfilling SLAs) easy.
(But not a motivation for protocol designers I guess)

Some comments:

(i) Today ISIS/OSPF transports the Max Reservable bandwidth and the
unreserved Bandwidth (per priority) per link which gives us a per-link
overbooking capability already.

(ii) with global overbooking ratio per CoS it is just a matter of how much
bandwidth I reserve for my TE-tunnel per CoS. When overbooking data by 4
but not overbooking voice I reserve bw/4 for data and bw' for voice. So no
need for per-link ratios.

Regards, Marc
--
Marc Binderberger          <marc@sniff.de>          Frankfurt/Germany