Re: nop response to diff-te-reqts

Jim,

As you know I initially had strong concerns about migration issues with
your proposal (eg. from TE to DS-TE , when changing the mapping between
preemption priorities and Class-Types,...). After thinking harder about it,
I think it is possible to work out operational procedures for each
migration scenario to ensure it goes OK.
For instance when migrating from TE to DS-TE, I think your proposal
requires that all LSRs be upgraded before TE-LSPs of another CT than CT0 be
established - otherwise a new LSR may be fooled by misinterpretation of an
advertisment from an old LSR and route CT1 LSPs on an onld LSR which only
support CT0. (By contrast, with our proposal, LSRs can be upgraded
gradually and the new CT will automatically be able to make use of all
upgraded LSRs as they get upgraded.)
So I now think your proposal can address migration scenarios provided
appropriate migration procedures are followed.

We also did more investigations on the scalability impact of our proposal
and we concluded that the difference between the two approaches is fairly
marginal (even if the difference in terms of nb of octets advertised is
significant). We detailed the reasoning behind that in
draft-lefaucheur-diff-te-proto-00.txt that we just posted. Feed-back is
welcome.

So our current perception is that:
         - your proposal has a slight edge in terms of scalability,
         - our proposal has an edge in terms of flexibility and ease of
migration
         - benefits in flexibility/ease outweighs scalability delta

More input from Service Provider on this specific trade-off between the
scalability delta and the flexibility/ease of migration (as we tried to
detail in our draft) would be helpful for going ahead.

Cheers

Francois

PS: I will be out of the office for a while so may not be able to discuss
this much before we meet in London.

At 12:18 11/07/2001 -0400, Jim Boyle wrote:

>nope, it was just a preview site.  The draft is now in the standard
>repository and can be found at:
>
>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boyle-tewg-ds-nop-00.txt
>
>also, type in the abstract, comments should be sent to the list, but I
>forgot the hyphen in the address:
>
>                 te-wg@ops.ietf.org
>
>thanks,
>
>Jim
>

>>is this link still working? I tried to download your technical proposal
>>today but no success... Can you please check this out. Otherwise can you
>>sent me directly (attachement) you note?
>>
>>On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Jim Boyle wrote:
>>-
>>-I've posted a technical proposal in response to
>>-draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-01.txt
>>-
>>-A preview can be seen at:
>>-
>>-       http://www.tcb.net/meatloaf/draft-boyle-tewg-ds-nop-00.txt
>>-
>>-thanks,
>>-
>>-Jim
>>-

_______________________
Francois Le Faucheur
Development Engineer, IOS Layer 3 Services
Cisco Systems
Office Phone:          +33 4 97 23 26 19
Mobile :               +33 6 89 108 159
Fax:                   +33 4 97 23 26 26
Email:                  flefauch@cisco.com
Cisco Systems Europe
Domaine Green Side
400, Avenue de Roumanille