Re: terminology challenge

>>>>> rpresuhn-lists  writes:

Randy> One of the things that bothers me about all the proposals (and
Randy> perhaps this is just because I spent too much time in
Randy> CMIP-land) is that we haven't been making a clear distinction
Randy> between an object having attributes and an instance of an
Randy> object being (logically) contained in another object instance.
Randy> Instead, the SMI compells us to think in terms of INDEX
Randy> clauses, which, if inherited, make my head ache when I think
Randy> about scoping.

The NMRG SMIng proposal does make a clear separation between the
definition of (reusable) data types and classes and their
instantiation in SNMP tables. Indexes are assigned in the protocol
mappings where the instantiation takes place. See
<draft-ietf-sming-snmp-02.txt> for the details.

/js

Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>