Re: Examples of ASN.1 for SMIng.txt

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Bancroft> Note that the ASN.1 information object class notation is far
> Bancroft> more tightly wrapped than the ASN.1 macro notation with
> Bancroft> which you may be familiar.  With information object classes
> Bancroft> there is far less need (actually, none comes to mind) to
> Bancroft> depend on SMIng-specific tools to parse the input and
> Bancroft> extract the necessary information so that it is readily
> Bancroft> utilized.
>
> Here is a quote from the ID:
>
> : If the entity class of an entity instance is an indexed array type,
> : the table is indexed. The particular mechanism for assigning names
> : (OBJECT IDENTIFIERs) to the data items of the table is specified in
> : the ENTITY-CLASS statement (see 3.2).
>
> : If the entity class of an entity instance is an array type without
> : an INDEXING-ATTRIBUTES parameter, the table is not indexed. Such a
> : table must be linked to another table by means of the BASE-ENTITY-
> : INSTANCE and RELATIONSHIP parameters.
>
> How to you express this in ASN.1 information object classes so that
> a generic tool can perform this test?

The point I am making is that whereas with the macro notation it is not at
all possible to use a generic parser to *parse* and extract the necessary
information, with the information object class notation you can.  This
being the case, it is trivial to write a post-processor to do any
additional checking that may be needed.

Bancroft Scott                               Toll Free    :1-888-OSS-ASN1
OSS Nokalva                                  International:1-732-302-0750
baos@oss.com                                 Tech Support :1-732-302-9669 x-1
1-732-302-9669 x-200                         Fax          :1-732-302-0023
http://www.oss.com