RE: Process for SMIng Syntax Proposal Submissions:

At 10:18 AM 10/31/2001 -0800, Durham, David wrote:
>This is an interesting proposal... Certainly the most complete example I've
>yet seen making use of a relative OID namespace hierarchy. I believe Wes was
>also advocating something along these lines a while back. I remember Wes
>having had some second thoughts too though, so I hope he takes a look at
>what you are suggesting (Wes?).
>
>My question is, do you view this as a separate proposal, or as a set of
>suggested modifications and enhancements to the current NMRG proposal?

I'm not sure. (I sent an email to the SMIng authors but I haven't heard
back yet).
I am currently working on completing the syntax definition and adding some
simple examples. I already made some changes:
      - moved instance sub-OIDs before object sub-OIDs, to match the
        naming in C (e.g.,  foo, foo[1], foo[1].bar -- before foo[1] could not
        be represented.)
     -  settled on 4 basic type constructs
            - SCALAR  (any base type)
            - ARRAY
            - UNION
            - STRUCT
     - extended the SYNTAX clause to provided typed OID pointers, e.g.:
             SYNTAX CONST POINTER InetAddress      (read-only pointer)
        or  SYNTAX POINTER InetAddress                  (read-write pointer)

I'm proposing revolution, not evolution.
The SMIv2 data model based on tables is fatally flawed.
Tables within tables is the wrong way to look at it.
We need a data definition language that let's us define data structures
similar the ones we use in real life, in our code.

>-Dave

Andy