Re: Process for SMIng Syntax Proposal Submissions:

Glenn> For example, imagine querying some simple object on some box in
Glenn> the network.  The object comes back with a value of 0 when
Glenn> you are expecting some positive number. Now, is that value 0
Glenn> because it is really the correct value or is it 0 because
Glenn> some module compliance statement somewhere suggested that the
Glenn> vendor implemented this object differently. Now, assuming there
Glenn> is a module compliance statement out there somewhere, find
Glenn> the MIB module from that vendor and for that product that has
Glenn> the module compliance statement. Next to impossible. Hence
Glenn> where is the value for the customer.

Glenn> To do module compliance properly I believe that it needs to be
Glenn> available from the box over SNMP. That way network management
Glenn> tools could choose to make use of the information. I am not
Glenn> sure we should do what I just suggested, but it does provide
Glenn> more value than the module compliance statement in the MIB.

Sounds to me like you are talking about agent capabilities and not
compliance definitions. Is that assumption correct?

/js