RE: Process for SMIng Syntax Proposal Submissions:

At 11:59 AM 10/30/2001 -0500, Glenn Waters wrote:

This is cool!!

thanks

I fully agree with your comment on the separation of OID naming from the data definitions. It should NOT BE DONE.

I agree. I have to write these documents with emacs as my only tool-set :-)

I think I understand what you have done (although I'm not up on the DSMON-MIB so I may have misinterpreted some things).

The main points:
   - SMIv2 version spreads a complex data structure across multiple tables,
     which share a major index component value.
     Forget tables -- wrong model. Think object hierarchy instead.
   - Accessible objects (what I called SCALAR) can exist at the same level
     as complex objects, like ARRAY, CLASS, or UNION.
   - Hierarchical naming is needed to allow complex data types to co-exist
     with scalars at a given scoping level. Just like C, you need to add more
     identifier components to the right to reference base-type objects at
     deeper levels.  SMIv2 is table-oriented, and bunching all the table indices
       at the end may help deal with rectangular tables, but it doesn't work well at all
       for complex data structures.

You say that "MODULE-COMPLIANCE TBD" -- I would like to remove MODULE-COMPLIANCE from the SMI. It provides little to no value and it is difficult to write/maintain.

Number 1 problem area for cisco mib-police (MIB review board):
  - creating or updating a MODULE-COMPLIANCE or OBJECT-GROUP maco
Authors almost always get this wrong. I don't want to remove it though.
We could not agree on which objects to include in a MIB without
the flexibility of the MODULE-COMPLIANCE macro.  (It should really
be called the MODULE-NON-COMPLIANCE macro, since it's used
to describe all the ways not to conform to the MIB definitions as specified
in the OBJECT-TYPE macros. :-)

/gww

Andy