RE: Aggregate Attributes

At 03:56 PM 9/27/2001 -0700, Jason, Jamie wrote:
>Would it be helpful in the draft to either:
>
>1.  Remove the word non-divisible from the description of attribute groups
>and replace the description with something like "named, reusable set of
>attributes that are meaningful together".
>- or -
>2.  Define what is exactly meant (#1 below) and not meant (#2 below) by
>non-divisible, potentially by using an example.

None of the above?
Joel is talking about partial inheritance, and stating that we should not
support it. I.e. only complete attribute sets can be inherited by a derived
type.
(I agree completely.)

I was making an unrelated observation that the mechanisms we use in SMIng
to convey non-divisibility can be used by a SW developer to determine
which related instances of certain attributes must be contained in the
same SetRequest, in order for a simplified agent to accept it.

Our canonical example is the InetAddressType/InetAddress pair.
There's nothing in the protocol that indicates that related instances
of these objects must be set in pairs. A developer needs to refer to
the SMIng definition to understand why the agent returns inconsistentValue
when the application sends only 1 of the 2 in a SetRequest.

>Jamie

Andy