Re: comments on draft-ietf-sming-reqs-02.txt: Arrays

>> 1. An array could be accessed atomically by protocol
>> operations. This would be a win for many applications. However,
>> this is not possible with the current SNMP. :-(

[...]

Jamie> Having said that, I do believe that just because an underlying
Jamie> protocol cannot support them directly should not be a reason
Jamie> for hamstringing SMIng.  Currently, workarounds for arrays
Jamie> suffer from the same lack of atomicty.  So, in my opinion,
Jamie> adding array support does not deviate from the status quo of
Jamie> today.

So you are saying that issue 4.1.25 implies atomic access or not? I
think this must be spelled out very clearly.

Despite this important little detail, I believe that this new feature
is at best a nice-to-have.

/js