Re: comments on draft-ietf-sming-reqs-02.txt: I18n

HI,

Let's put the language aside and ask the real question, which is
"What character set must be supported by compilers of the language?"
Supporting UTF8, or any character set other than 7-bit displayable
ASCII will cause additional work and possible interoperability
problems.

At 07:38 PM 7/10/2001 +0200, Frank Strauss wrote:
>Hi!

>>> [Dave] Saying Internationalization would be nice to have seems to be an
>>> innocuous change. Any objections?
>
>David> This topic has been raised multiple times in the IETF. Fred Baker made
>David> it very clear that documents must be written in English, the language of
>David> the IETF. Maybe that will change under the new leadership, but it hasn't
>David> changed yet.
>
>David> I strongly disagree with i18nized DESCRIPTIONS, or any other element of
>David> the language that could impact the interpretation of the specification.
>
>David> There should be one and only one language that is the standard for the
>David> official specification, and the IETF has declared that English is that
>David> language. I have no objection to somebody publishing a translation into
>David> other languages, but there should only be one official specification in
>David> the one official language, in case translation creates ambiguities.
>David> Otherwise interpretation and interoperability suffer.
>
>David, please read carefully what this requirement is about. We
>absolutely agree that (a) all the SMIng documents and (b) all
>DESCRIPTIONs and other stuff in each and every IETF-defined SMIng
>module *MUST* be written in english.
>
>But we don't want to enforce a Frenchman to write his closed MIB
>modules for his closed single company in a language he does not even
>understand, if the module never gets to an IETF guy's eyes. This would
>be narrow-minded and anything else but a flexible design.
>
> -frank

Regards,
/david t. perkins