Re: comments on draft-ietf-sming-reqs-02.txt

Hi!

Jamie> Juergen & Frank, thanks for the extensive feedback.  I have
Jamie> finally gotten through all 87 points.
Jamie> 1.  I have incorporated the editorial comments into the draft. [...]

Thanks, Jamie! I've
(a) compared your updated document against our 87-item-list,
(b) added a few very minor editorial changes (see diff below), and
(c) extracted those 31 comments that are still open (unchanged, only with
    some minor clearifications in square brackets) so that it is easier
    to give further comments on the interesting issues (see list below).

I hope to see some more input on the open issues until the deadline on
Friday.

 -frank

07: The third paragraph in section Motivation is kind of funny since
    all the examples listed there are either rejected or nice to have
    features later on.

15: We think that 4.1.4 as described [...] (neither SMIv2 nor
    SPPI are defined in ABNF) [...] actually comes from the NMRG.  In
    fact, the title does not really match the description and this is
    where the confusion comes in. Perhaps this needs to be split into
    two requirements.

17: It is interesting that we still have emtpy motivations, although
    the WG process said that requirements without motivations will be
    dropped. We should either add missing motivations or follow our
    rules and drop things.

    [This affects 4.1.26, 4.3.5, 4.3.7, 4.3.11, 4.3.12, see also
    comments #58, #59, #61.]

21: We propose to replace all occurences of "should" with "must" in
    4.1.X and all occurences of "must" with "should" in 4.2.Y.

33: We think that 4.1.25 is a nice to have requirement and belongs
    into section 4.2. There are many issues associated with arrays and
    I think they really belong into the category of things that SMIng
    should support if we find a way to do it that is simple and easy
    to use. Currently, there is not even agreement on the precise
    access semantics of multi-valued attributes not how they could
    potentially be mapped to SMIv2/SPPI constructs and SNMP/COPS-PR
    protocol operations.

    Note also that the last paragraph in the notes does not express a
    clear requirement that arrays must be supported. (Despite that, we
    do not understand what the "general problem" is.) The notes
    already discuss issues with potential solutions - which we think
    does not belong here.

34: 4.1.26 is unclear. The title says tables while the description
    talks about attribute groupings, a phrase which is used to explain
    requirement 4.1.29 (structures). This one also has an empty
    motivation so this should probably just be dropped.

37: The note in 4.1.29 should be removed as it is neither possible nor
    desirable to treat arbitrary attribute groupings as atomic data
    structures in all protocol mappings.

38: We suggest to replace phrases suchs as "structures", "compound
    types", "attribute grouping", "grouping of attributes" with just a
    single term throughout the document. We suggest "attribute groups".

51: At first glance, it is somewhat confusing that discriminated
    unions are required while unions are just nice to have. A
    discriminated union is a more precise form of a union and hence
    support for unions will fall out when doing discriminated unions.
    And since discriminated unions are required, the nice to have
    feature of unions will fall out anyway. There is certainly the
    issue whether unions without a discriminator are desirable,
    although arbitrary unions are classified as nice to have here.

    We are confused (and hungry?)

52: We believe that 4.2.3 should be an accepted requirement and be
    moved to section 4.1. We need to be able to distinguish between
    reusable definitions and "final" definitions that should not be
    further refined.

56: We believe that 4.3.2 is right now confusing a solution with the
    problem statement. We believe that the underlying problem must be
    solved and that this is a requirement. We also believe that the
    solution mentioned in 4.3.2 should not be a requirement. (Still
    following?)

    Here is our proposal: We suggest to redefine 4.3.2 as shown below
    and to move the new definition into section 4.1.

    4.1.x Instance Naming

    Type: align