Re: Methods, Inheritance, Exceptions, etc. (was: Re: Methods in SMIng ?)

Frank, I beg to differ.
What is being sent on the wire is limitted by the existing protocols.  As
such, the request is sent as a "SET".  It is currently represented as a set
of elements to be set because that is what the tools can talk about.
What was intended by the user was "remote entity: pig second remote
entity".  From the users point of view, there was no interest in setting
any attributes.  The user wanted a behavior to take place.  And there are
many of these scattered through MIBs, most of them with really bad
descriptions that do not make it obvious taht setting element X will cause
the device to perform operation Y, based on other elements A, B, and C.
What I want is the signature and the syntax to make it clear to the reader
that this is a method to be invoked rather than just a set of objects with
obscure side-effects.
And, given that there are ways to map this stuff to existing MIBs (and
probably PIBs), we should not wait for upgrades to the current management
protocols.  When it was necessary that I read almost every MIB that came
out for 4 years, these sort of oddities really caused me grief.

Yours,
Joel