From: owner-sming@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-sming@ops.ietf.org]On
Behalf Of Frank Strauss
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 2:11 AM
To: Andrea Westerinen
Cc: Juergen Schoenwaelder; david.putzolu@intel.com; sming@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Methods, Inheritance, Exceptions, etc. (was: Re: Methods in
SMIng ?)

Hi!

Andrea> Frank, Your definitions helped, but I still feel that I am
Andrea> talking about method signatures (execution on the agent side).
Andrea> For example, a method to Reset an interface's hardware needs
Andrea> to execute on the hardware and not on the manager.  But, maybe
Andrea> this is about how the MIB attributes are manipulated and not
Andrea> about the final location to execute the code?

Andrea> For another example, look at RFC2925 that defines MIB entries
Andrea> to do pings, traceroutes and lookups.  Pings are done at the
Andrea> remote host, at the request of the management application,
Andrea> using either ICMP, the UDP echo port, timing of an SNMP query,
Andrea> ...  "A single SNMP PDU can be used to create and start a
Andrea> remote ping test."  Would you call this a method or procedure?

In both of your examples there are SNMP Set operations that have to
take place to launch the operations. What happens on the wire is an
SNMP operation, not a method.

If we want to model signatures that ease usage of these operations
on the manager side, I would call it procedures. In your examples,
these procedures might be relatively simple.

 -frank