From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 1:16 AM
To: andreaw@cisco.com
Cc: strauss@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de; david.putzolu@intel.com; sming@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Methods, Inheritance, Exceptions, etc. (was: Re: Methods in
SMIng ?)

>>>>> Andrea Westerinen writes:

Andrea> BTW, I am not arguing to introduce new constructs.  I am
Andrea> arguing to use the existing constructs of readable/writable
Andrea> attributes to map the semantics of methods.  We do have
Andrea> methods today in MIBs - for example, we request a ping and a
Andrea> traceroute in remote ops.

Please show me a concrete mapping for generic methods to the existing
set of SNMP protocol operations. And please also give me an estimate
what it actually takes to implement all the artificial objects such a
mapping will introduce with the current SNMP protocol semantics.

Once such a concrete proposal is on the table, we can decide whether
this is indeed a step forward. Without such a concrete counter
proposal, I continue to believe that mapping generic methods on the
current SNMP protocol operations is really really ugly and not worth
pursuing.

/js