Re: Requirements comments...

Hi!

Anderson, Todd A writes:

Todd> I'd like to add my 2-cents to the requirements discussion.
Todd> First, for issue #2, I would highly prefer a C-like syntax (or a
Todd> CORBA IDL-like syntax given than CORBA IDL is similar to C-like
Todd> syntax) to an ANS1-like syntax.  I think that C-like syntax is
Todd> clearer and more straight-forward.

Todd> For issue #39 (arrays), I prefer the IDL verbage of "sequence"
Todd> instead of array since array implies something of fixed length
Todd> to me.  I think that sequences are a necessary part of SMIng
Todd> since I am constantly frustrated by the proliferation of tables
Todd> I have to create to simulate sequence semantics.  It seems to me
Todd> that without sequences, the number of associations would also
Todd> have to increase.  I think it is just clearer and more natural
Todd> for those with a programming background to think of sequences of
Todd> data instead of breaking up the data structure into multiple
Todd> locations.

Todd> Could someone provide some clarity on issues #42 and #43?  An
Todd> issue that seems similar to #43 is the case when sometimes I
Todd> want to execute several table changes atomically but other times
Todd> I may not want to make those changes atomically.  Is the
Todd> language an appropriate place to deal with this sort of
Todd> behavior?  Are there any modeling issues related to this sort of
Todd> transaction?  My instinct is that there isn't for this type of
Todd> transaction but for the case where you must always change
Todd> several things atomically then the language is an appropriate
Todd> place to state that.  How would the other type of transaction be
Todd> handled then?

Todd> Finally, for issue #49, I am glad to see that the spec includes
Todd> float data types in the language.  I find these types especially
Todd> useful for TSPECs and fractional link bandwidth partitioning.

Thanks Todd. I've added all your comments (although we'rw out of the
time schedule, but worthwhile comments are always welcome).

 -frank