Re: #12

Hi!

David Harrington writes:

David> Problematic Requirement: #12
David>        Requirement name: Base Data Types
David>        Description of the problem with the requirement: This is a
David> request for clarification of this requirement. The Specs section says
David> that Pointer will probably be needed again. I think Pointer is a new
David> type, since it is not available as a base type, but only as textual
David> conventions in SMI amd SPPI. As a result, pointers in SMI and SPPI are
David> constrained to the very specific semantics and usages described in the
David> SMI/SPPI textual conventions. These specific usages have been captured
David> in requirements #14 and #15, and need to be captured for the ReferenceID
David> and PRID of SPPI. Pointers as a generic base type should be discussed as
David> a new requirement, not as part of this requirement.

Please note that the specs sections are just a statement from the authors
of the current SMIng spec proposal authors to which extend this requirement
is addressed by the spec so far. Its just FYI for those people curious about
the spec proposal.

I think we should concentrate on the requirements discussion here (and
thus on what is part of the description and motivation/discussion
sections).

In the specs section I mentioned Pointers and Identities (new in the
SMIng specs) and Counters, Gauges, ... (base types in SMIv2, but not
in SMIng) just to let people know about these changes, since the title
of this issue is `base data types'.

 -frank