RE: SMIng Requirements: instance identification

This is still not making sense to me.  If you
require a "key" keyword on properties in a class
definition, then aren't you doing two things:

 - Requiring that all the properties needed to
   provide unique instance identification for an
   instance be so flagged?  Think about the classes
   several weak associations down from the top in
   a CIM model.  These classes typically have a
   lot of key properties, because their propagated
   keys are included as well as their native keys.

   In a hierarchical naming model like GDMO or
   X.500/LDAP, such classes don't need to have
   all these attributes.  All the class itself
   needs (for naming) is enough attributes to
   provide uniqueness within the scope of a
   superior.  So doesn't the SMIng approach to
   instance identification *force* the inclusion
   of extra properties/attributes in class
   definitions, solely for instance identification?

 - Introducing the requirement that all instances
   of a class be identified in the same way?  This
   is different from the approach in GDMO and in
   X.500/LDAP.  With GDMO, for example, a class
   can defined with several attributes that are
   "suitable for naming".  Later, one or more
   NAME-BINDING templates can be defined,
   specifying (1) a superior class under which an
   instance of the subject class can be named, and
   (2) the specific attribute to be used for
   naming it in that context.  X.500/LDAP has
   essentially the same capability.

So I don't agree that mandating that class keys be
identified in class definitions is just a benign
language feature in the SMIng requirements.  Doing
this will introduce real limitations in how naming
can be done in the mapped models.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore