From: owner-sming@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-sming@ops.ietf.org]On Behalf Of Weiss, Walter
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 8:35 AM
To: sming@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: SMIng Requirements: instance identification

Back when this was a NIM requirement, we wanted to stay away from keying because previous experience demonstarted how much a particular keying strategy influenced the overall model and how severly it undermined specific mappings. At this point I can't say that avoiding the keying semantics makes mappings easier. I also can't say that a specific keying strategy maps better to various data models.

In the end, these requirements need to reflect two points of consensus:
1. Is keying part of the model/language or is it part of the mapping?
2. If it is part of the model, what keying approach lends itself to the broadest possible set of mappings?

regards,

-Walter