From: Fred Baker [mailto:fred@cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 7:40 AM
Subject: RE: DS MIB - please review this list...

At 04:20 PM 2/28/2001 +0100, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
>I strongly recommend that we go with the rules (the MUSTs)
>as specified in RFC2851.

I have changed the next dsmib draft accordingly

>However, if you really do not want to go with those
>rules... then we should have a debate on the mibs mailing list
>to get the rules changed and specify the situations in which
>such rules may be ignored.

I have attempted to have that debate. Sound computer science does not
appear to be relevant. What I got back incorporated a distinct
non-understanding of the format and construction of IP headers, and used as
a centerpiece of its logic "is this so terrible?". I was hoping for an
actual discussion; that debate didn't happen.

But it pointed out (again) the obvious flaw in the SMI that disallowed the
use of NetworkAddress a decade ago. IPv6 MIBs would have been a slam-dunk
if we could have simply added an IPv6 address to NetworkAddress and had
IPv6 support bloom all over the MIB, rather than having to redo each and
every MIB individually. What this provides is a poor man's CHOICE. I would
strongly urge that SMIng fix that once and for all.