Re: Announcement of SMIng Author & Editor Meeting

Hi Bert,

> David first announced as "interim"... which is not allowed according to IETF
> rules, because we want a 30 day advance notice so people can plan to attend.
> So I "instructed" David that it cannot be called an interim meeting.

>From the SMING WG IETF #49 minutes:
   Is there a need for an interim meeting? Ans: Yes (approximately 15 people raised
   their hands for an interim meeting). If such meeting would be organized, specific
   proposals for solutions should be on the table in time. Such meeting could probably
   be held in February.

> So I checked with David what he was thinking of. Form what I understood
> of his response, the idea was that the editors would sit together to go over
> any open editing issues and open other issues to prepare for the meeting
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am concerned because:
  - this is a WG that has only met once, so there are many more open issues
    than closed issues
  - the output of this WG will impact any WG that defines a MIB, since
    SMIv2 will eventually be replaced by SMIng
  - the meeting was announced way after the IETF #50 announcement.
    I can probably change my flight, but I can't arrive in Minn. on
    Saturday instead of Sunday because the hotels are booked up already
  - this is not a terminology issue. The Sunday meeting should not
    be used for any other purpose than open editing issues,
    because SMIng should follow the rules for an interim like everyone else.

I don't want to be told at the official WG meeting "that issue was
already decided/worked out/solved at the meeting on Sunday".

> as planned in the regular IETF meeting slots. The editors felt that maybe
> anyone who wanted could join in, and so that is what it is. And so David
> re-annouced it as an "open editors/authors" meeting.
>
> So ... yes I think it is a matter of confusing terms that has been used.
> But... pls let's get back to technical matters.

I know I'm not the only person who wanted to go to the interim,
but because it was announced so late, I can't change my travel plans.
Changing the name of the meeting doesn't fix anything.

> Bert

Andy