Re: MIB identification guidance

[...]

Bob> Ok, so you are saying that "approved by the IESG" is "the very
Bob> beginning of its entry onto the Internet standards track" in this
Bob> excerpt form RFC2578:

Bob>    "then at the very beginning of its entry onto the Internet
Bob> standards track, the objects are moved under the mgmt(2)
Bob> subtree."

Would the following text be better and clearer? I propose to use the
new text in the SMIng SNMP Mapping document unless I hear objections.

   The mgmt(2) subtree is used to identify "standard" definitions. An
   information module produced by an IETF working group becomes a
   "standard" information module when the document is first approved by
   the IESG and enters the Internet standards process.

   The experimental(3) subtree is used to identify definitions which are
   being used in experiments that are part of some research or
   development effort. Definitions registered in the experimental(3)
   subtree must be moved to the mgmt(2) subtree if the experiment results
   in a "standard" information module. Note that such a re-registration
   of definitions requires to change the module name as well.

Here is the old text from RFC 1578 for your convenience:

   The mgmt(2) subtree is used to identify "standard" objects.

   The experimental(3) subtree is used to identify objects being
   designed by working groups of the IETF.  If an information module
   produced by a working group becomes a "standard" information module,
   then at the very beginning of its entry onto the Internet standards
   track, the objects are moved under the mgmt(2) subtree.

/js