Re: Rewriting/ingress filtering/NAT/proxy, was: Re: Shim6 Agenda for IETF 71

On 2008-03-04 22:29, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> The new top 64 bits of the address are checksum-equivalent to the old top 64 bits. (As long as it's /48 prefixes this is fairly trivial to do.)

I'm confused. Didn't you just steal all the site's subnet addressing bits?

> This would be a relatively clean type of NAT, the only thing that it breaks is referrals.

Doesn't it also break any upper-layer embedding of IP addresses?
What about MIBs containing addresses, for example?

Also, breaking referrals means we can't escape from today's need to build p2p
systems using some other namespace than IP addresses. That doesn't seem
like what we wanted to achieve.

Back one step:

> Now combine this with the shim6 proxy, address rewriting and ingress filtering stuff and you may end up with something like this:

I think that a really interesting discussion is whether it's
possible to merge some of the ideas in draft-rja-ilnp-intro-00.txt
with shim6.

    Brian