Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

On 4-okt-2005, at 20:43, John Payne wrote:

Do people really buy lines just to use them as backups? I never understood this.

Absolutely. I am concerned by your need to state that you don't understand why. If you've never been in that position, you don't need to understand it, other than to accept that it exists.

But it doesn't make any sense. If you're paying for the link, why not use it? Or do the service providers make the deal such that it's cheaper to have the link be idle?

It's also not very good engineering: expecting something that is never used to work suddenly is asking for trouble.

our you can load share by splitting your announcements
across you links.

Yuck, you should never announce more specifics for this.

Never is a strong word. If I have multiple uplinks to the same provider, it affects NOBODY but my provider and me if I deaggregate and tag no- export to load balance across those multiple links. It's especially useful if those links are geographically diverse.

Sure, but if it only happens between you and your ISP then I don't care anyway, so why bring it up? The multihoming problem that shim6 wants to solve is multihoming to two or more ISPs.