Re: Thoughts about layering multi-addressing

And *if* it turns out that we need the ability for the app on A to affect how B sends it packets, then this can be viewed as a locator pair preference mechanism which is layered on top of the shim proper. There isn't a need to have different contexts to do this, and it doesn't help because the granularity would be finer than the ULID pair.

Agreed.

Could this be something passed down from the ULP (prefer a given locator pair) for ULPs that are aware of multiple locators? Or a "locator pair preference sub-layer" for other ULPs?

Something like the following?

                 +----------------+  +--------------+
                 | SHIM unaware UL|  | SHIM aware UL|
                 +----------------+  +--------------+
                         ^                   ^
                         | ULIDs only        |
                         v                   |
     Admin       +----------------+          |
     interface-->| "Policy" subL  |          | ULIDs+locators
                 +----------------+          |
                         | ULIDs+locators    |
                         v                   v
                 |               SHIM               |
                                  ^
                                  | locators only

The admin interface could then used to implement policy negotiation on the top of the basic SHIM, at some later point, if needed. SHIM aware ULPs (like SCTP++?) could implement similar functionality themselves.

--Pekka Nikander