Re: shim-aware transports

john.loughney@nokia.com wrote:

I might be missing something here, but if a ULP forks-off of a shim
session toand uses a different locator pair than the default, shouldn't
this be signaled to the other end point, otherwise we run the risk
that each endpoint might get out of 'sync' from each other.

I don't think there is any out of sync problem with the uncoordinated "forking". A has a set of locator pairs it is using when sending to B, and B accept all those locator pairs (and context tag) as mapping to the same ULID pair.

A chooses which locator pair to use for any given packet, based on its probing and path exploration (after a suspected failure), and it doesn't need to coordinate this with B.

If we add the uncoordinated forking, this just means that A might, more or less persistently, use different locator pairs for different classes of traffic (e.g., {A1, B3} for "time sensitive" and {A2, B2} for "bulk"), which doesn't have any impact on B, since B will map those to the same ULID pair.

If endpoint a decides to fork-off and start using locater a1' rather
than
a1, the ULP at the opposite end might still be using a1 to send packets
to endpoint a.

Yes, but that "uncoordinated" property is what we need to handle unidirectional locator pairs in any case.

FWIW it isn't clear to me that we need a "coordinated forking" mechanism; it seems to be counter to the idea that each end can decide which locator pair to use when sending.

   Erik