Re: shim-aware transports

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Well, I'm sorry to have to say it, but that's just STUPID.

I'd have thought "wise", but hey.

What if I have a 119 MB/s gigabit ethernet link and a 1 kB/s GSM data connection, and I'm downloading a nice big file with my fully RFC 1323-compliant IP stack, and then the gigabit link goes down so I rehome to the GSM link.

Jammer[1].

We're not here to solve problems in transport protocols. Even if try accomodate shortcomings in certain protocols by introducing additional interactions, what happen when those shortcomings are fixed (in that protocol or by a superceding one?) - you're left with a then redundant set of interactions. Interactions which make for (redundant) implementation difficulty.

Further, you have to accomodate all transports. Many of which have quite different expectations and information.

Suppose the file is coming from 100 ms away, so my window is 12 MB or so. That means that worst case, my GSM link could be saturated for more than THREE HOURS because of that single window worth of data that's in flight.

Jammer :).

But the receiver can close the window, can't it?

This "complexity is scary" belief in IETF is getting ridiculous and then some. (While at the same time you need to read some 20 RFCs to implement SNMPv3. Good thing they never went for a "complex network management protocol".)

Complexity /is/ scary.

It raises the bar to understanding, hence introduces additional potential for protocol 'bugs' to be overlooked. It raises the bar for implemention, in prototyping, debugging, etc.

Make things as complex as they /need/ to be, no more.

1. roughly translated: tough luck

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A