Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi Margaret,

El 19/05/2005, a las 23:29, Margaret Wasserman escribió:
My concern (once upon a time) with extension headers is that the use of extension headers on some packets and not others effectively presents a variable MTU to upper layers. We need to make sure that this is properly handled to avoid bad interactions with PMTU discovery code.

Right, but note that the extension header is included after a new path is used. I mean, as long as the communication flows through the initial paths (i.e. the ULIDs are used as locators) there is no need of the extension header.
Once there is a failure, we need to change the path, which means changing locators and then we need to include the header in data packet.

so considering that the extension header is included as a result of changing paths, it may be reasonable to expect a change in the MTU anyway (because of the path change)

Regards, marcelo

Margaret