Re: Open question and Critical dependencies

> Yes, multi6 was chartered to work on 6.  yes, a focus on 6 dominated.
> but some folks seem to be forgetting that this is a new working group
> and it  is getting a new charter.  if this is merely a continuation of
> the multi6  working group, then perhaps the current effort should be
> characterized as a  rechartering of multi6?

Another option is for you to gather with other people and create a IPv4
WG. This was done for Mobile IPv6 with MIP6 WF and MIP4 WG.

> >  That is invalid comparison, OSI was a completely new protoocol and
> >  IPv6 is an extension to the Internet model and Ipv6 is being
> >  deployed and
>
> The original proposal by Steve Deering was for something that could
> reasonably  have been treated as an IP upgrade.
>
> The current IPv6 is far more complex and disruptive.  Adopting it is
> the same  as adopting an entirely new internetworking protocol.
>
> After 10 years, we ought to deal with the reality that there is
> significant  resistance to adoption.

Resistance to adoption of IPv6 in the planet where I live doesn't
exists. I use IPv6 on a regular basis, even to send this mail - you can
check this in my mail header:
[IPv6:2001:200:0:8803::53])

FYI, in my office, we couldn't even get enough IPv4 addresses for all
desktop, so we have to rely on NAT which breaks many things which we
cannot experiment. We don't have such trouble when we use Pv6.

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:46:13 +0900, Thierry Ernst wrote:
> >  Are you arguing that IPv6 deployment is not underway ?
>
> When something take 10 years to get to the point of starting
> infrastructure  deployment, there is usually a rather basic problem.
> In particular, the world  has repeatedly seen promises of the next
> great technology that will see grand  deployments "soon in the future"
> that somehow keep being in the future, rather  than now.

When this 10 years period started ? If you refer to the time it was
first introduced at the IETF, it doesn't hold, as it takes time to
publish RFC, test implementation and market produst.  As I wrote, I use
IPv6 today, and many other people do so for a longer time than me.  Of
course, I will have my computer continue to talk IPv4 as long as some
IPv4 computers are IPv4 only.

> Sometimes, those deployments actually do occur and I think it will be
> good if  this is one of them.  However the history of efforts that
> experience such  rolling delays is rather dismal.

IPv6 is already deploying.

Thierry