how mobile do we need to be (was Re: how mobile do we want to be)

On 22 mar 2005, at 17.22, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

At 11:05 PM +0100 3/22/05, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
That would require some serious voodoo as these are nearly always managed by different entities. So essentially this would keep the problem the same but require wifi base stations and gsm/umts infrastructure to solve this and hide the complexity from the hosts. This isn't traditionally the way the IETF does things.

I was actually expecting that, to get this to work well, you'd need to purchase the 3GPP/802.11 roaming service from a single provider...

I don't expect this to be the case in all cases.

In my view of things there is definitely a case where L3 could reasonably be involved.

What I expect to happen is that a 3G/802 equipped device/node would move into a zone where 802 was possible and where at some point it could be connected to two or more providers at the same time, sort of multihomed. During this interval it could have separate addresses given by different providers. And as in any multihomed node it could chose which provider to use based on its own policy constraints. As it moved from one zone's prevalence to another or from one provider's area to another, the balance would change and different providers, and L3 addressing possibilities, could become available.

And while it is true that one could use the extensive machinery of MIP to make this work, it seems to me that using the multihoming shim's capabilities could be a lighter weight possibility. But while it is possible that support for this sort of movement could just fall out of the shims specialized for static and fixed multihoming, I expect that support of a dynamic multihoming model, i.e. one with movement, might hold some gotchas. I would prefer to see us deal with these during the architectural and protocol design stage then to have to deal with them in the deployment stage when the solutions might end up as afterthoughts, i.e addon hacks.

One thing I am pretty sure is that if it is possible to coerce shims into doing dynamic multihoming, i.e. multihoming with movement, then someone will. Given that it probably will happen, it might be better to design for it.

a.