Re: how mobile do we want to be

Hi Dave,

At 9:14 PM -0800 3/19/05, Dave Crocker wrote:
the draft charter is primarily notable for its lack of explanation. it does not explain what the problem is, other than to reference "site multihoming" and does not explain the solution path, other than to say that it will be whatever was under discussion earlier and elsewhere.

please imagine being new to the topic and trying to read the charter, to understand what the actual problem is and what the benefits of the solution will be. you will find none of this discussed in the draft charter.

This work is a continuation of multiple years of work in the multi6 WG, and I don't think that it is possible (or even makes sense to try) to boil that knowledge and experience down into a few charter paragraphs.

The proposed charter states that it is a continuation of the multi6 work and cites 9 documents that a person new to this topic should read to understand the context of the discussion, including: a multihoming goals document, a threat analysis, an architectural framework and the latest design team output regarding the solution space. In my personal opinion, this is much more detailed information that we usually have when we start a WG, and would do more to help a new person come up-to-speed in this area than the typical IETF WG charter.

I do have one concern about this part of the charter -- it cites I-Ds, and I am not sure that all of those I-Ds will eventually be published as RFCs in their current form. Kurtis, Geoff and Brian -- which of the I-Ds cited in the charter have been submitted to the IESG for publication? What should we do with the others? Are they expected to be updated over time, or will their mention here limit the useful lifetime of this charter to <6 months?

Margaret