Re: shim - transport/app communication

Bound, Jim wrote:
Erik, thanks.  If we are to do this really I agree with your mail below
technically.  The key is that the ULID is dereferenced to an address
whereever possible in the nodes stack and always on the wire and if ULID
must be passed over the wire it must be in some encaped dst option is one
suggestion.  Also how do I trust it on the wire?

Are you concerned about the end-to-end behavior, or routers/middleboxes looking at the ULIDs and locators? The end-to-end behavior is trusted using the HBA/CGA way to secure the relationship between the addresses.

If routers/middleboxes look at the packets (e.g. for QoS), then in might be best to have them use the locators (i.e., what's in the source and destination address fields in the IPv6 header) since they are as trusted as today (which isn't very much). This means that signaling protocols that today pass addresses to routers/middleboxes, need to pass the set of addresses instead of a single address.

    Erik