Re: Mailing list and draft charter for new multihoming BOF/WG

Hi Brian, Pekka,

[I miss the initial message by Pekka, so i comment on this one]

El 12/01/2005, a las 14:31, Brian E Carpenter escribió:

Pekka Savola wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
We will request a shim6 BOF at the next IETF, and also start the
process of forming at WG. But first, we need your comments on
the draft charter.
Two typos:
-The shim6 WG is to produce specfifications for a complete IPv6 site
-multihoming solutions based on the architecture developed by the IETF
+The shim6 WG is to produce specifications for a complete IPv6 site
+multihoming solution based on the architecture developed by the IETF
Major comment:
The text, again, makes a huge presumption that just by solving the connection survivability problems, we have a complete IPv6 site multihoming solution.

I agree that the proposed draft charter may read a bit connection survivability centric (especially if we look a the proposed title of the wg :-) but i would argue that the actual tasks contained in the draft cover most aspects of the multihoming problem.
As i see it, there are essentially the following issues to address in a multihoming solution:
- ingress filtering
- fault tolerance that includes the establishment of new communications and the preservation of established ones
- traffic engineering

the charter contains most of these points (the only one that is not explicetly stated is the establishment of new communications which is why i suggested to include it).

I may agree that TE may need a bit rephrasing so to make it clearer

But in general i would say that this charter with the inclusion of the item about establishemnt of new communications would allow to develop solutions to all the aspects of the multihoming problem that i can identify.

Regards, marcelo

That may be true for certain kinds of sites, but this seems like a far fetch in general.

Well, Geoff owes us the general solution architecture document. When we
test that against RFC3582, we can address your question...

   Brian