RE: [RRG] RRG process clarification

Hi Brian,

|> IMHO, SHIM6 lives directly in the translation camp.  It is
|very much NAT in
|> the host.
|
|No, it's fundamentally different in that the packet delivered
|to the upper
|layer at the far end is identical to the packet sent by the
|upper layer.
|It's vital to distinuguish reversible mutation of the packet
|from irreversible
|mutation. So I would put shim6 and map-and-encap together; they are
|isomorphic viewed from the upper layer.

Well, we should agree to disagree.  I don't see it as at all vital to care
about reversible mutations.  We do packet remarking (i.e., DiffServ) and
it's never seemed like a significant issue.

While I grant you that they would seem to be almost isomorphic from the
upper layer, modulo corner cases, I can't help but want to view
architectures from more than immediately above them.  That view would seem
to be like judging bridge architectures by only looking at the surface of
the road deck.  One has to look at the underpinnings as well.

Tony