Re: [RRG] RRG process clarification

On 2008-05-03 06:03, Tony Li wrote:

> |> It should be noted that some folks come at things with an alternate
> |> branching structure:
> |>
> |> 	- Map-n-encap
> |> 	- Translation
> |> 	- Transport
> |
> |Where would you put SHIM6 in the above?
> |(I wasn't clear whether it belongs to transport, as the shim layer is
> |between IP and transport; while the proposal from Mark lies entirely
> |on transport)
>

> IMHO, SHIM6 lives directly in the translation camp.  It is very much NAT in
> the host.

No, it's fundamentally different in that the packet delivered to the upper
layer at the far end is identical to the packet sent by the upper layer.
It's vital to distinuguish reversible mutation of the packet from irreversible
mutation. So I would put shim6 and map-and-encap together; they are
isomorphic viewed from the upper layer.

    Brian