Re: [RRG] RRG process clarification

On May 2, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Lixia Zhang wrote:

On May 2, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Tony Li wrote:

|Does the above miss any other branches at the top level design tree?

It should be noted that some folks come at things with an alternate
branching structure:

	- Map-n-encap
	- Translation
	- Transport

Where would you put SHIM6 in the above?
(I wasn't clear whether it belongs to transport, as the shim layer is between IP and transport; while the proposal from Mark lies entirely on transport)

The network/transport boundary is inside hosts and is emphemeral. The salient questions, at least to me, are:

a) which bits on the wire are interpreted/set by hosts only versus which bits on the wire are interpreted/set/modified by routers only, versus which are interpreted/set/modified by both b) whether only the router hardware/software needs to modified, only the host hardware/software below the application interfaces needs to be modified, or if both need to modified c) if the scheme is undetectable by application code, detectable but not in any useful/harmful way by applicaiton code, or if application code is affected.

DaveO.

Lixia