[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Type definision issue in rfc2578
> Hi, Can someone help in the following issue..
> I have some doubt in the types defined in the RFC2578, and its usage in
> In RFC2578 the type defintion for ExtUTCTime is said not to be imported by
> any MIB definition,
> but the RFC3159 is using the MIB definition convention to define the frame
> work for PIB defintions, and it is importing the ExtUTCTime, as per the
> RFC2578 which not to be allowed.
Let me explain:
1. ExtUTCTime is defined as part of SMIv2.
2. The SPPI imports ExtUTCTime because the SPPI is an enhanced subset of SMIv2.
3. The module within RFC 3159 which imports ExtUTCTime is the SPPI, which
COPS-PR-SPPI DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
IMPORTS ObjectName, SimpleSyntax, ExtUTCTime, mgmt
4. The SPPI is the rules for writing PIBs, but the SPPI is *not* itself a PIB.
5. RFC 3159 does not contain a MIB.
6. The PIB module within RFC 3159 begins:
COPS-PR-SPPI-TC PIB-DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
IMPORTS Unsigned32, MODULE-IDENTITY, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, pib
Notice that this is a PIB because it has the "PIB-DEFINITIONS" keyword, but
does not IMPORT ExtUTCTime.
So, RFC 3159 does not violate the rules relating to ExtUTCTime as specified
in RFC 2578.