Re: Issue: Treatment of null Identity Response

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:42:11AM -0500, Nelson, David wrote:

> > For text and string types, RFC 2865 indicates that zero-length binary
> or
> > text strings MUST NOT be sent in attributes.  So it would seem to be a
> > conflict with RFC 2865 to require NULL strings.
>
> To follow up on my thoughts, it seems we've already [additionally]
> violated this RFC 2865 requirement in the CUI document, wherein we
> suggest a NULL value of CUI as a hint to the RADIUS Server.  :-(  So I
> suppose, this is an "issue" to be resolved.

I believe the CUI was to be a single byte of 0-bits, thus NUL rather
than NULL and not a violation.  I must say, in passing, that I never
understood why zero-length strings were forbidden.  Can anyone point
to a logical, or historical, reason?

Regards,
Barney

--