RE: Issue: Treatment of null Identity Response

I don't think there's any contradiction here...

Both specs say that there are valid cases where no user name is
available or known. In EAP, the whole EAP-Response/Identity packet
cannot be omitted, so the client sends one with an empty data
field. In RADIUS, an unavailable/unknown username is indicated by
omitting the User-Name attribute from the Access-Request ("It MUST
be sent in Access-Request packets _if_available_.").

So it seems the issue is only whether NAS implementations have really
remembered to handle this special case correctly. I'd guess there are
probably some implementations that send an empty User-Name attribute
instead (thus violating RFC2865), but this is just a hunch and not
based on actual experiences...

Best regards,
Pasi