RE: AW: Comments on draft-ietf-radext-digest-auth-06.txt (fwd)

> The WG charter states:
>

> >- SIP support. RADIUS is currently used for SIP authentication,
> >authorization and accounting. Standardization of these attributes
> >will enable improved interoperability.
> >
> >This document will be upwards compatible with the Diameter SIP
> >application, and conform to existing IETF RFCs on HTTP Digest,
> >including RFC 2617, 3261, and 3310.
>
> It seems clear that the digest-auth draft covers the objectives of
> the second paragraph.  But the first paragraph seems broader than
> this and suggesting covering the full scope of "SIP authentication,
> authorization and accounting".  (Presumably as defined in the, albeit
> informational, requirements RFC.)  Is there any intent or interest in
> covering the remaining requirements?
>
> I can contribute to this if there is interest, and being a newbie in
> this area, would welcome happily collaborate with anyone else who may
> be interested.

Creating RADIUS features that exceed the comparable features in Diameter
would be a problem.  That's not the intent of RADEXT.   Everything in
RADEXT WG work items needs to be upwards compatible to a corresponding
feature in Diameter, or contain that Diameter compatibility in the
RADEXT document.  If these are requirements that you see as not being
addressed in the Diameter SIP Application, then I don't see how we could
(or should) address them in RADIUS (alone).