Comments on draft-ietf-radext-digest-auth-06.txt (fwd)

RFC 3072 Section 1.1 talks about the requirements for RADIUS Digest Authentication:

  Nevertheless, a few limited RADIUS [5]
  extensions may meet some of the requirements in this document (for
  instance, some of the authentication requirements).  We expect that
  while RADIUS with these limited extensions will meet particular
  functional requirements, it will not meet other important
  requirements.  The following are some requirements that are not
  expected to be met by RADIUS:

     1. Section 2.1.3: RADIUS does not support a discovery feature.

     2. Section 2.1.7: RADIUS does not support reliable message
        delivery.

  The following list contains the requirements that can be met by
  RADIUS or RADIUS extensions.

     1. Section 2.1.2: Communication between domains does not scale
        well in RADIUS.  As a result, inter-domain communications are
        typically handled using a proxy architecture [6].

     2. Section 2.1.5: RADIUS clients would need to support Dynamic
        Authorization [7].

     3. Section 2.1.9: RADIUS clients would need to rely on a lower-
        layer security protocol, such as IPSec, to perform mutual
        authentication.

     4. Section 2.3.3: RADIUS clients would need to support Dynamic
        Authorization [7].

     5. Section 2.3.4: RADIUS clients would need to support Dynamic
        Authorization [7].