RE: IETF 64 RADEXT WG Agenda, Take 1

Hi John,

The idea is to additional value for the already existing
Framed-Compression attribute that is defined in 2865. The attribute is
used by the NAS to give a hint to the RADIUS server about its capability
to support a particular type of compression. The RADIUS server returns
this attribute to indicate which compression scheme needs to be used by
the NAS for bearer flows of the user.

Here is the description from RFC 2865:

"
This Attribute indicates a compression protocol to be used for the
      link.  It MAY be used in Access-Accept packets.  It MAY be used in
      an Access-Request packet as a hint to the server that the NAS
      would prefer to use that compression, but the server is not
      required to honor the hint.

      More than one compression protocol Attribute MAY be sent.  It is
      the responsibility of the NAS to apply the proper compression
      protocol to appropriate link traffic.

"

Note that we are not changing this definition in our draft. We are just
defining a new value for it for ROHC.

Hope this clarifies your question.

-Kuntal

dnelson@enterasys.com
> Cc: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
> Subject: RE: IETF 64 RADEXT WG Agenda, Take 1
>
> Kuntal,
>

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chowdhury-rohc-radius-attribu
> tes-00.txt
>
> I gave this a quick read, but I actually don't understand what this
> attribute would be used for.  Could you explain a little bit about
what
> it does, some examples of signaling, etc?
>
> What is the NAS & RADIUS server signaling - is there any reason for
them
> to be involved in ROHC?
>
> thanks,
> John

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to postmaster@starentnetworks.com -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."