RE: Capabilities: Summary

Alan,

I don't think that Capabilities are always about support for a given
attribute or attribute(s).

Sometimes capabilities are about support for a feature like Disconnect
Message or the ability to support change of authorization message.  Note
someone will surely remind me that a NAS that does not support DM or COA
will respond negatively.

But that "Negative" response comes after the fact --- after trying the
command and way after authorizing the session.

In some cases we would like to know if the NAS supports these
capabilities *during* authentication/authorization time.  3GPP2 for
example have an VSA that communicates the NASes capability in an
Access-Request.

In other cases, it is not the support of the specific attribute but
rather what type of values the attribute can take on.  So its how the
attribute is to be interpreted or assigned values.

Therefore, the conclusion that Farid and I came (and others) came to was
not to express capabilities as support for individual attributes but
rather as "features" and "modes" (I don't know how to express it).